Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Headed for Disaster…the Show Must Go On


There may be nothing that attracts Murphy’s Law better than live entertainment. That’s part of the thrill of any live performance. The audience knows that the performer could fall flat on their ass at any given time. This has actually happened to me. I was singing with my band when my foot got tangled in a cord and I literally fell on my ass right into one of the horn players’ horns. Not only did I bend this poor guys mouth piece, but I almost ended up with a trumpet up my butt (which would have given new meaning to “tooting”!). But I digress. From the performer’s perspective we know that at any time the electricity could blow (which has also happened to me - of course) or a sandbag could fall on their head. It’s navigating this sort of tight-wire dance between performer and audience and how we handle these potentially armageddonous (yes, I made that up) moments that really makes us entertainmentprofessionals.

No comments: