Sunday, October 28, 2012

One is the Loneliest Number

Lonely DJ in search of gig companionship. Must enjoy sharing stale deli tray vendor meals and long walks along loading docks and freight elevators. 

Just kidding.

But for me sometimes, DJing is a lonely business. It takes a village to raise a great event, but as a solo DJ, my "village" can feel pretty pitiful with a population of 1.

 Most weekends I sing in The Avenue, one of the very busy special event dance bands at Jerry Bruno Productions, the multi-op I work for here in Cleveland. I've been in a band since I was a kid and bands are like little gangs. Us against the world.  There's a feeling of camaraderie, of common purpose in a band that I find myself missing when I'm DJing an event. The Avenue is a group of 10 musicians and 1 Sound Tech working together in harmony (literally) for a common goal. We ultimately sink or swim together and there is a creative comfort in that. We can discuss musical ideas and support each other.

Click here for the full article at MobileBeat.com

No comments: