Tuesday, July 31, 2012

It's Not My Problem!

by Geoff Short

I remember it like it was yesterday.  One of the biggest screw ups of my life.  I was one week away from being married. My soon-to-be-wife Lisa and I were living in California at the time, but our wedding was happening in Cleveland where our families live and where I grew up.  Because of work schedules, Lisa left for Cleveland a few days before I did.  I was organizing a few last minute things the night before I was to go to the airport.  I made sure I had my plane tickets and thought I would double check what time my flight was. That's when my world went black. My plane - the very one that was to carry me to wed my beloved - departed over 12 hours ago!!  For some reason I had it in my mind that my flight was the next day.  Nope.  Panic.  As stupid as that was, I was smart enough to call the airline, plead my case and beg for the next flight to Cleveland - before calling Lisa, who was probably expecting me to be landing in Ohio by now.  It worked.  It only cost me $50 to change the flight to the next morning (I would have sold my first born kid to get on a plane)  and now I had a solution before breaking the news to my fiance.  No, she still wasn't thrilled and still called me an idiot, but at least I had a solution.  Can you imagine if I hadn't? She surely would have thought this lame "missed flight" story (true though it was) was a cover for the worst case of cold feet in the world.  I learned a very valuable lesson that day...

Solve the problem before you make it someone else's problem.

To read the full article on MobileBeat.com click here

No comments: